How to Make Biodegradable Caskets
Biodegradable caskets are made from natural materials that decompose readily in the soil when buried. Their beauty is that they have little impact on the earth. For people who are concerned about preserving the environment, 100% green burials provide a way to make the end of life more meaningful and natural, at the same time minimising the impact on planet Earth.
Biodegradable or green caskets may be made from a wide range of low impact materials such as bamboo, hemp, organic wood, felt, organic cotton, cork, teak, willow, rattan, seagrass, banana leaf, and recycled cardboard. Pine is a popular choice as it breaks down at approximately the same rate as the body itself.
Special features of Biodegradable Caskets
- They are 100% eco-friendly, made from sustainably grown products – no metal is used.
- They are lined with organic cotton.
- They have a zero carbon emission so are ideal for cremations.
- They are sturdy, but lightweight.
- The adult caskets are weight-tested to carry about 150kg.
To make your own biodegradable casket, you have two choices – you can either buy a pre-measured assembly kit, or you can construct your own from scratch.
Green Casket Assembly Kit
- These caskets have no metals, plastics, stains, varnishes or oils.
- The caskets are packaged and then sent in an easy to assemble form, which can be stored until needed.
- Storage is an easy option as they come packed in sturdy flat corrugated cardboard boxes.
- When needed the 6 panels are placed together with the dowels, which are included.
- The glue contains no formaldehyde and is non-toxic and biodegradable.
- The components are shrink-wrapped in biodegradable plastic for damp-proofing.
- Functional rope handles are supplied.
- It only takes about 20 minutes to assemble.
Make your own Biodegradable Casket
Making a casket can be comforting, satisfying, and therapeutic. Using pine would be the best option, as it is low-cost, lightweight, and easy to work with.
- You will need basic tools such as a hammer, a saw, tape measure, a drill and a square.
- Dowels and biodegradable glue are also needed as you will not be using any metal such as hinges, nails, etc.
- Natural cotton rope handles are used which are comfy to the hands for carrying.
- The casket liner can be made from organic cotton.
For making your own biodegradable caskets you will –
- Measure the person for whom the casket is being made. Include length, shoulder width and feet height.
- Plan and write out your blueprint.
- Purchase your pine wood and other biodegradable materials.
- Cut the lid, base and sides, remembering that the length and width of the walls should equal those of the lid and base.
- Use dowels to attach the walls to the base.
- Seal with your biodegradable glue.
- You will need to prepare holes for 3 handles on each side.
- Drill these holes approximately 10cm from the bottom edge of the casket.
These biodegradable caskets are the same as those used for Orthodox Jewish burials.
Genesis 3:19 – By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken – for dust you are and to dust you will return.