The Risk of Not Having a Funeral Plan
October 14, 2016
There are many reasons why it’s wise to take out a funeral plan, but if you don’t believe it, here is a description of the risk of NOT having funeral cover:
The Risk of Not Having Cover
- You probably won’t be able to arrange a dignified funeral.
- Your family won’t have access to the many benefits associated with funeral plans.
- They may not be able to bury you due to lack of money.
- Your family will have to find with the full amount to cover the cost of the funeral
- Your family will probably get into debt to pay for your funeral.
- Death usually happens when you least expect it. And you may not have any savings put away to pay for the funeral.
- Your family will most likely suffer increased trauma, over and above the shock of your death.
It can be devastating to families when a loved one dies. Therefore they are not equipped to give them a proper funeral. Funerals today can cost as much as R10 000, or more, and that’s for a small funeral, and there are so many other expenses associated with the death that it can be quite debilitating. Not having funeral cover is a risk you should not be willing to take.
Here is a list of things you will need to pay for at a funeral:
- The pamphlets and printing
- The venue hire
- The food and drinks
- The flower arrangements
- The tombstone
- The coffin
- The costs associated with the mortuary
- The chairs and the tent at the grave
- The hearse
How to find the right funeral cover
When applying for funeral cover, you need first to decide on the amount of protection you think you will need in the event of death. That is based on the risk factor.
Most sound policies begin with approximately R5 000 worth of cover and most often provide cover up to at least R30 000.
To cut your risk, get a FREE funeral cover quote. Just complete and submit the form on this page
The next step is to consider what type of benefits the policy offers. Most financial service providers today include “extras” such as vouchers, discounts, etc., which you need to take into consideration when selecting your plan. Most of the sound policies include excellent “live” benefits as well, which allow you to make use of your investment while you are still alive, so choose wisely. When you assess the value of the benefits along with the cover, you will realise how beneficial funeral cover is.
Not having funeral cover is essentially placing an unnecessary burden on your family. And remember, life cover doesn’t pay out very quickly, so don’t think you can rely on your life cover to meeting the costs of the funeral too. On most funeral policies, claims are usually paid out within 24 – 48 hours of receipt of the correct documents.
All info was correct at time of publishing